Monday, April 12, 2010

Oh My Gosh Im a Dog Whisperer!!!

You would think in all my years of being around dogs I would just absolutely be in LOVE with them. We have had many different breeds in our home from when I was a little kid all the way up to the present.










poodles

mutts

huskies

golden retrievers

Australian blue healer

chocolate lab to just name a few......

My history with dogs up until now hasn't been that great. I have been chased, growled at and pinned up against a guard rail to where I had to jump over it and dangle over the river to be safe. Of course the owner says " I have never seen him do that before" Ive heard that a hundred times and I still do not believe it.


Then there is the common jump on me when I walk into the house and follow me around when there are plenty of people in the room waiting to shower them with hugs kisses and even lick their face. YUK!!!

Don't get me wrong I'm a great dog sitter. Just ask my friend Laynie and her dog Bella. I take her when her parents go out of town. I plan play dates,beach walks and even gave her a flea bath when she needed it. At Christmas time my dog loving friends are mailed home made dog biscuits for their friend for life to enjoy over the holidays. So its not that I'm against them they just need to have some structure.

Which brings me to my blog for today on dog whispering. That's right I believe I have obtained the skills to master most dogs that are just a little on the wild side. They need just a simple structure from the owner just like a child.I do not advise people to try this at home unless they have had proper training as advised on the hit show The Dog Whisperer. Cesar Milan's brilliant with these dogs and I have proof that is does work.



Now to remind you I'm a nurse working in home care presently so that means I'm in the home. I visit one patient three days a week for 11 hrs a day. Therefore I'm like one of the family so guess what I get to help out with. You guessed it their furry friends. At first I thought I must be on reality TV with a really bad punk. I arrived early in the morning to a big dog barking at me and she had to be held back at that point. Still smiling and realizing I have to spend a whole day with this I began my morning. Once I sat down to do some charting and eat breakfast my realization came into play. The big dog had placed her self nose distance away from me while I tried to eat. I quietly shewed her away but she came right back. I thought how am I going to deal with this and keep my job. Finally after multiple desperate attempts to free me of her invading my personal space she went to lay down in the other room.

Whew I thought until to my surprise another door opened and out popped two little dachshunds that were like a circus on wheels. I'm not sure if you are familiar with them but they are high energy and unable to sit for one second. They race around like they are greyhounds but like two squirrels rolling around on the ground. Its quite a site to see.

This is where Cesar Milan comes in and thank god for him. My patient likes to watch the show most of the days so I make sure to tune in with him. Its been a few months now since I started working here so I have brushed up on my dogie day care training 101.

Now we as a team are able to get a little control over the dogs. When I come in I get a quick bark from the big one and I give her a shhh and she stops and walks away just like on the show. The little ones are not that easy but for me they have shown some improvement.

The adopted name for the little ones has become varmints. They scurry around with their nose to the ground looking for any food they can get their mouth on. They will get on the back of the couch and fly like a squirrel onto the table to get any scraps. Don't think of taking your eyes off of your plate. They hop up on your legs snatch your food and run out before you can figure out what happen. They are a challenge but so far if you shhh them you can stop them for a little while or at least for one act. Cesar may have to come to this rescue but until then from Monday-Wednesday it is my job to be the dog whisperer.

Now I leave you with this particularly humerus image in your mind of me with three dogs like a circus master. Good luck to you and your furry friends. If you ever need a whisperer you know where to find me.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you had been watching Cesar Milan when you were babysitting Bella...maybe you would have included training time into your day care/playdate schedule. She could use a little "whispering".
    LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete